Requirements and System Configuration¶
Platform as a Service (PaaS)¶
eZ software is built to rely on existing technologies and standards. The minimal setup is
Apache/Nginx. Recommendation for production setups is to use
Solr in a clustered setup.
For supported versions of these technologies see Recommended and Supported setups below.
These setups are tested by QA and are generally recommended setups. For security and performance we furthermore recommend use of the newer versions of components below.
|Debian||Ubuntu||RHEL / CentOS|
|Operating system||9.x "Stretch"||17.10 "Artful"||7.x|
|Web Server||Nginx 1.10Apache 2.4||Nginx 1.12Apache 2.4||Nginx 1.10 (latest via RHSCL)Apache 2.4|
|DBMS||MariaDB 10.1MySQL 5.5||MariaDB 10.1MySQL 5.7*||MariaDB 10.1 (latest via RHSCL)MariaDB 10.0 (latest via RHSCL)MySQL 5.6 (latest via RHSCL)MariaDB 5.5|
|PHP||PHP 7.1 (Either using packages in testing, or deb.sury.org)||PHP 7.1||PHP 7.1 (latest via RHSCL)|
|PHP packages||php-cliphp-fpmphp-mysql or php-pgsqlphp-xmlphp-intlphp-curlphp-gdor php-imagick||php-cliphp-fpm (for use with nginx)php-mysql or php-pgsqlphp-xmlphp-mbstringphp-intlphp-curlphp-gd or php-imagick||php-cliphp-fpm (for use with nginx)php-mysqlnd or php-pgsqlphp-xmlphp-mbstringphp-processphp-intlphp-pear (optional, provides pecl)php-gd or php-imagick (via pecl)php-memcached (recommended, via pecl)|
|Cluster PHP packages||php-redis (via pecl)||php-redis (via pecl)||php-redis (via pecl)|
|Search||Solr (recommended; for performance, features and search quality):Solr 6 or higher Currently tested with Solr 6.6.2Oracle Java/Open JDK: 8|
|Graphic Handler||GraphicsMagick or ImageMagick or GD|
|Clustering||Linux NFS or S3 (for IO, aka binary files stored in content repository)Redis 3.0 or higher (for Persistence cache & Sessions)Varnish 4.1 or higher with varnish-modules or Fastly using our bundle provided with eZ Platform Enterprise (for HttpCache)|
|Filesystem||Linux ext3 / ext4|
Supported setups are those we perform automated testing on. For security and performance we generally recommend (unless otherwise noted and marked with *) using the newer versions of components below.
- OS: Linux
- Web Servers:
- Apache 2.4, with required modules
- Nginx 1.10, 1.12
- Apache 2.4, with required modules
- MySQL 5.5.3 and higher, 5.6*, 5.7*
- MariaDB 5.5, 10.0, 10.1, 10.2*
- Redis or Memcached
- Solr or SQL (but does not provide same featureset or performance as Solr)
- NFS or S3
- pdo mysql (with mysqlnd)
- php-redis or php-memcached (3.x)
* Note: Mysql 5.7 and MariaDB 10.2 changes how certain queries are parsed and is known to have issues with content attribute sorting queries in legacy because of that at the moment, MySQL 5.6 technically works but executes several hundred times slower on said queries. Because of this we overall recommend MariaDB 10.1 and 10.0, and don't offically support MySQL 5.6/5.7 and MariaDB 10.2 in use with legacy at the moment.
Development and Experimental setups¶
eZ Platform, the foundation of all eZ software, can theoretically run and execute on many more setups than the ones listed as recommended and supported, including any operating system supported by PHP, on a PHP 5.6 version or higher that pass the Symfony requirements, using cache solutions technically supported by Stash, using databases supported by Doctrine DBAL, and using a binary file storage solution supported by FlySystem.
Examples of Development setups:
- OS: Windows, Mac OS X, Linux
- Filesystem: NTFS, HFS+/APFS, ...
Examples of Experimental setups:
- OS: Any system supported by PHP
- Filesystem: BTRFS, AUFS, ...
- IO: Azure, (S)FTP, GridFS, ...
- Databases: Postgres, MSSQL, Oracle (As in technically supported by Doctrine DBAL which we use, but none supported by our installer at the moment, and Oracle and MSSQL is not covered by automated testing)
While all these options are not actively supported by eZ Systems, they are community supported. Meaning you can use them with both open source edition and enterprise edition, however if you encounter issues best way to handle them is via contribution, and any such efforts made to improve support for these technologies can contribute to the technology being supported by eZ Systems in the near future.
eZ software is developed to work with any web browser that support modern standards, on any screen resolution suitable for web, running on any device. However for the Editorial and Administration User Interfaces you'll need; a minimum of 1024-by-768 screen resolution, a desktop or tablet device, and a recommended/supported browsers found below.
These setups have been undergone some additional manual testing and is known to work.
- Mozilla® Firefox® most recent stable version
- Google Chrome™ most recent stable version
- Microsoft® Edge® most recent stable version
- Apple® Safari® most recent stable version, desktop and tablet
- Opera® most recent stable version, or higher, desktop and mobile
Please note that the user interface might not look or behave exactly the same across all browsers as it will gracefully degrade if browser does not support certain features.