Creating content, basic¶
There are four ways of creating a new Content item:
- Activate Create in the right menu whenever you are viewing any other content. The new item will be placed under this content in the tree.
- Activate Create in the upper right corner of the Dashboard. In this case you will have to select where the content will be located.
- Go to the Create tab in the Universal Discovery Widget. Here also you'll have to choose a location for the new item.
- Drag files onto the Sub-items box when viewing any content or activate the upload button and select files to upload. In this way you can upload files such as images, videos, pdf documents etc.
If you choose the first three options, you have to select the Content Type first. When uploading files the Content Type will be chosen automatically.
If you are using eZ Enterprise, you will have the Page Content Type available for selection. Pages are edited in the Page Builder, see below.
Each Content item is based on a Content Type. The Content Type defines what Fields you will have to fill in the new item. It may also, depending on the way your website is set up, decide things such as the layout or style in which this item will be displayed.
Different Fields may require different formats of data. Fields marked with an asterisk (*) are required and you will not be able to save the Content item without filling them in.
It's worth taking a closer look at a couple of formats you may have to deal with.
In case of Relation Fields (which link two Content items), or Image Fields (which should be self-explanatory) you may need to select a different Content item using the UDW. If you have a Location Field, you may type the place name, enter its coordinates or point to it on the map. A Rich Text Field requires a bit more explanation.
Editing Rich Text Fields¶
Rich Text Fields are filled using a special Online Editor whose options appear when you activate the Field box.
You can add a new element to the Field by activating the plus icon to the left of the box and choosing one of the available elements:
- Unordered list
- Ordered list
Each of these elements can have its own settings, such as formatting, that you can access by activating it. The option bar also lets you reorder or remove any elements in the Rich Text Field.
Images options enable you to select the variation (alias) for the image. Available image variations, including different sizing options and other filters that can be applied to images, can be configured for your installation at a developer level. See Images for a technical guide on how to do this.
In table options you can define the first row and/or column as headers, add and delete rows and columns in any part of the table as well as merge and split cells.
You installation can also have custom elements. Contact your site administrator about the details of using them.
When you select a section of text, you get access to text formatting options such as bold or underline. Here you can also add a link to the text. You can link to an external website, or to another Content item.
While editing content you can preview what it will look like using the Preview button in the menu.
A Content item can have different looks for different SiteAccesses. You can select a SiteAccess to preview using a dropdown in the preview screen.
Working with a Page¶
Page is a special Content Type that contains zones onto which you can drop different dynamic blocks. You create and edit Pages using the Page Builder.
Go to the Page Builder by selecting Page in the top bar. You can create Content here by activating the plus button in the upper right corner.
The Page Content Type contains a Landing Page Field Type which manages the zones and blocks. Any Content item that has the Landing Page Field Type will behave like the Page Content Type.
In a newly created Page you must first choose a layout which defines the available zones. You can switch it later using the menu:
This creates an empty Page with the predefined zones. In the editor you can also see a menu of blocks (Elements) that you can add to the zones. Do this by dragging any of the blocks to an empty place on a zone. Don't worry about placing blocks in the proper place from the start, you can also reorder them by dragging later.
eZ Enterprise comes with a set of ready-to-use Page blocks, but developers can add their own. The blocks provided out of the box are:
- Code - inserts custom HTML into your Page.
- Content List - displays Content items of a chosen Content Type (or Types) that are contained in a folder.
- Banner - displays an image Content item with a URL attached to it.
- Collection - displays a set of Content items you select manually.
- Embed - embeds Content of any type on the Page.
- Gallery - displays Images contained in a folder.
- Video - embeds a video Content item into a page, with standard playback controls.
- RSS - loads and displays news from RSS feeds (channels).
Each kind of blocks has its special properties that you can access from the block's menu when it is selected. You do this by activating the settings button.
After you are done, in the menu you can choose to Publish the Content item or to Save its draft. See Publishing for more details.